How We Price SEO and SEM Services.
Rather than offer off-the-shelf service packages with a fixed price, we create custom digital marketing campaigns for each of our clients. We do have some common price ranges, however, that can help you determine if we’re a good fit for your needs.
In general, we estimate our services via a combination of cost- and value-based pricing. Initial setup costs are generally fixed, with the same, one-time set of tactics for most projects. Ongoing costs are based on value: The strategies and tactics that are required to achieve agreed-upon goals and to deliver great ROI.
Our core service price ranges
Local search engine optimization (SEO) pricing
|One-time local SEO services setup fee:|
$1,500 - $2,300
|This normally includes:
* Industry and competitive research
* Tool setup
* Report configuration
* Arrange access to relevant accounts, platforms, and tools
* Initial discovery session
|Monthly local SEO service rates for one business location: |
$1,500 - $2,300
* some select markets and industries - $750
Pricing depends on the extent of link-building and content services provided.
|These packages normally include:
* Keyword analysis
* Competitor analysis
* Onsite SEO
* Content strategy and development
* Google Analytics
* Monthly reporting
National SEO Pricing
National SEO services are highly customized to each client. The main factors in pricing national SEO services are:
• The quantity of content needed to achieve desired results and whether we will provide that content.
• The client’s website platform and associated technology, including its proprietary status.
• The number of business or office locations.
• The number of products and/or services the client offers its customers.
• The number of stakeholders within the client’s company who will work with us.
Pricing for Pay-Per-Click (PPC) Advertising
|One-time PPC setup fee: |
$1,500 – $5,000+
Based on number of initial landing pages and campaign complexity
|These packages normally include:
* Keyword analysis & segmentation
* Campaign construction and settings
* Text ad creation
* Landing page creation
* Basic extension development
* Conversion tracking setup
$1,500 – $7,500+
* some select markets and industries – $750
Based on flat fee, percentage of ad spend, or both.
|These packages normally include:
* Campaign optimization
* Keyword optimization
* Ad management & testing
* Landing page testing & development
* Extension development
* Monthly reporting
|Landing pages: |
$650 – $1,800 each
|Monthly ad spend:|
* Payment method
* Click charges paid directly to Google
* Establish daily spend amount
- We develop a customized service mix for you with only the services you need
- We provide comprehensive reporting every month
- You own all of your data and any assets we create for you
- We don’t have long-term contracts
SEO Pricing and Local SEO Pricing FAQs
With more than one type of SEO and at least three different pricing models being widely used, understanding SEO and local SEO pricing can be confusing. The following FAQs can help you make sense of SEO pricing, including local SEO costs.
Why is SEO pricing so complicated?
It’s almost impossible to give a one-size-fits-all quote for the cost of SEO services because several factors come into play.
Here are the main ingredients of an SEO quote:
- The size of your website. An e-commerce store with thousands of pages will generate significantly more work than a 10-page website.
- Your goals. Some websites need some basic structural tasks performed on them while others have a results-driven goal that requires more resources to be poured into an SEO campaign.
- Your industry. Some industries are more competitive than others, which makes their keywords more competitive, too.
- The level of service. Some SEO pricing models are designed to work on a set-it-and-forget-it basis, where you have someone managing your campaign end-to-end for you. Other models work a la carte: you order a project that fits into your overall marketing plan.
Why are there different SEO pricing models?
If you’ve already started researching SEO packages, you might have discovered there’s more than one way to charge for SEO services. There’s no real standard for what SEO companies charge but there are four main ways to set up a pricing plan for SEO services. These are:
- Hourly SEO rates. When you have a specific project you want completed, usually as part of an overall marketing plan you already have, contracting for services by the hour can sometimes make sense, especially if you have an in-house SEO team that can’t take on the project.
- Project-based SEO. You pay a set fee for a specific task such as a full SEO audit, for example.
- Results-based SEO. With this model, you contract with the SEO company for a targeted outcome in the search engine results pages (SERPs). You pay nothing until the set goal has been reached. Pricing is dynamic since some keyword goals are easier to achieve than others.
- Monthly retainer. This is the full-service package where you are setting up an ongoing partnership with an SEO team rather than contracting for one-off projects.
Very often, a customized SEO plan will incorporate more than one SEO pricing model.
SEO Pricing FAQs
Q: Is SEO free?
A: SEO has always been labor-intensive but as the years have ticked by, the industry has evolved. Now, it’s not only labor-intensive but also requires a monthly budget allocation as well.
Q: What is the difference between SEO and SEM?
A: Search engine marketing (SEM) is a broader term that includes SEO as well as other search marketing tactics such as online advertising. Both have the same goal of promoting your website by helping it become more visible in the search engine results. Think of SEO as earned or using ‘organic’ tactics to rank and SEM as paid.
Q: How much does SEO cost per month?
A: SEO pricing can be as complicated or as simple as you need it to be. Ideally, what you’re paying for is a highly customized plan where you’re only paying for what you need. SEO costs vary among SEO agencies and it’s important that business owners understand exactly what they’re getting and that they trust the people they decide to partner with.
Q: How much does basic SEO cost?
A: For the four main ways to contract for SEO services, refer to the section above on the different SEO pricing models. In general, the costs look something like this:
- Hourly SEO. $75 to $200 per hour.
- Project-based SEO. $1,000 to $7,500+ per project
- Results-based SEO. Too keyword-dependent for any generalizations!
- Monthly retainer. $250 per month to $5,000+ per month.
Q: What is an SEO audit?
A: The best type of SEO package for you depends on your industry, your website, your goals, and your company. An SEO audit is usually the tool used to assess your unique situation and come up with relevant goals for a customized plan.
Q: How much is an SEO audit?
A: Sometimes an SEO audit is offered for free. Be wary of these offers, however, since a truly effective SEO audit takes about two full days for one person to complete.
Q: How long does an SEO audit take?
A: At a minimum, a good SEO audit will take a couple days to complete (see above). For a fully in-depth audit it could take two weeks or more for an audit to be completed.
Q: Do I need an SEO audit?
A: Clients who come to us for an SEO audit fall into two categories:
- Those who know very little about SEO and don’t know what they need
- Those who want validation of their current SEO
Q: What is on-site SEO?
A: Also called on-page SEO, this refers to the technique of applying best practices to the code on your website. There are multiple ways that a website can be improved for search by adding to the backend code. Visitors won’t see these changes but the search engine bots certainly will take note.
Q: What is off-site SEO?
A: This refers to SEO strategies that send “SEO juice” to your website to improve its ranking in the search engines. High-quality links from authoritative, reputable sites are considered an excellent form of off-site SEO.
Q: How much do freelancers charge for SEO?
A: Freelancers are really all over the place with SEO pricing, even more so than agencies. Keep in mind that if someone is charging too-good-to-be-true prices, they are probably using shady techniques that can ultimately do more harm than good in the long run.
Q: What SEO services do your prices include?
A: The most effective type of SEO plan is tailored to fit your goals and includes only the services you need. Therefore, we employ a mix of techniques and pricing models to create your custom plan. To give an accurate answer here, we’d need some basic information from you. Please feel free to use our handy online contact form to get in touch.
Q: Do you have long-term contracts?
A: No. DAGMAR Marketing makes it easy to partner for SEO services by not requiring you to commit to a long-term contract. That said, many of our clients have been with us for years but have maintained month-to-month contracts.
Q: Can I do my own SEO?
A: You can do your own SEO, but a better question might be “should I do my own SEO?” SEO is a critical part for online businesses and there are a number of things to consider before taking that on:
- Time: Do you have the time to dedicate to properly doing SEO on your website? The amount of time needed to optimize a site and do all the necessary research (in addition to the other responsibilities you have within your business) needs to be considered. Also, SEO is constantly changing; Google frequent rolls out both minor and major updates, and you will have to stay on top of these to make sure they’re not affecting the work you’ve already done.
- Technical skills: Are you comfortable with HTML to make minor edits? Can you install files and code on your site? SEO isn’t purely technical, but it does require some know-how to perform some relatively basic tasks. (One way to cut down on the amount of technical skills you need to know is to use WordPress for your site and follow our SEO Setup Guide.)
- Writing: Are you willing (and able) to create content regularly? Fresh, relevant content is becoming increasingly important to search engine rankings, so you’ll need to either invest your own time or pay someone to write content for everything from your blog to your service pages.
If you’re willing and able to learn the major aspects of SEO and commit to working on them for at least 10 hours per week, then doing your own SEO may be an option for you. For others who realize their time is better spent on parts of their business or job they understand, paying an SEO agency or consultant is probably a better use of time and money.
Q: What do SEO consultants do?
A: SEO consultants first learn about your company and your goals. Then, they work with you to support your marketing objectives in all areas: website traffic and conversions, social media, and more.
Q: Why is SEO so important?
A: For a brick-and-mortar business, foot traffic means a higher chance of getting customers in your door. SEO works to place your website in a position on the search engine results pages (SERPs) that will result in more traffic, too. When your website is easy for people to find, you’ll have more visitors that may become customers.
SEO also serves to assist the search engine robots, which need help understanding your website. When the right clues are embedded in the code of your pages, it’s like guiding those robots to place your site in front of the right users.
Local SEO Pricing FAQs
Q: How much should local SEO cost?
A: Local SEO packages come in different flavors, too. Some companies offer a bare-bones automated plan that’s incredibly affordable, perhaps at less than $1,000 per year. There’s not really a lot of long-term value in these plans, however, because all you’re doing is paying to have your business listed in online directories. But once you stop paying, your listing fades away and they don’t help your site’s position in the local search results anyway.
You could also select a local SEO plan that’s customized, comprehensive, and much more aggressive. In that case, you would expect to pay anywhere from $1,000 per month to $5,000 per month depending on the agency, your industry, and your goals.
Q: How much does monthly SEO cost?
A: Local SEO pricing at DAGMAR Marketing ranges from $1,500 to $2,300 per month for one location.
Q: How much does SEO cost for a small business?
A: Small businesses should figure on budgeting up to $2,300 per month for the full range of services including on-site SEO and link-building. See the next question for the full list.
Q: What does local SEO entail?
A: Local SEO really has two phases: the setup services and the ongoing services. For setup, local SEO entails:
- Research into your industry and your competition
- Setup of software tools
- Configuration of reports
- Setting up access to your dashboard
- Initial discovery session
Ongoing local SEO pricing plans include:
- Keyword analysis
- Competitor analysis
- On-site SEO
- Content strategy & development
- Google Analytics
- Monthly reporting
Q: What is a local SEO audit?
A: Before we can create a customized local SEO package for you, we’ll have to know all about your industry, your company, and your website. Part of what we do is help with website maintenance so we’ll need to know about the internal, back-end components of your website as well. All of this is part of what’s called a local SEO audit.
Q: How much is a local SEO audit?
A: This depends on the complexity of the website and industry you’re in. Some audits can cost as much as $5,000 and will include detailed line items and recommendations, while others could be free as a sales tactic but will have very little depth or few recommendations.
Q: Can you give examples of local SEO campaigns?
A: A good Local SEO campaign will have all of the following components:
- Keyword research
- Technical review of your website
- Optimization of each page on your website using the keyword research
- Competitive analysis
- Identifying content gaps
- Creating a content strategy
- Link building outreach
- Online directory submissions (citations)
- Review acquisition strategy
Q: Why is local SEO important?
A: Mobile phones dominate our lives now. That means mobile search is on the rise. As more people search while on the go, it’s clear that they’re searching for something nearby. That means they’re paying attention to the local results. It’s key to make your website easy to find for these searchers because typically, they’ve already decided to buy; now, they just need to know where!
And the stats support this: Seventy-two percent of people who do a local search end up visiting a store within five miles. If you want to reach those shoppers, it’s important to show up in the local results.
Q: Is local SEO different from regular SEO?
A: “Regular” SEO, which may also be referred to as global or national SEO, increases your website’s visibility in the SERPs on a national level. Local SEO is aimed at a much more targeted audience: users in close proximity to you at the moment of their search.
Q: What is Google My Business?
A: This is a dashboard where business owners can manage their company profile as it appears in certain types of Google searches. In order to appear in a map search or the local results, a business must have a Google My Business account. It shows the business location on the map, hours of operation, phone number, and reviews. It’s where you can (and should) respond to reviews of your business.
There’s a click-to-call button, which is important for mobile search. There’s also a direct link to directions in Google Maps, which is also essential for capturing people who search on their mobile phones.
Q: When should I consider purchasing local SEO services?
A: Since local SEO (or any type of SEO, for that matter) is a long-term process, most business owners see value in getting started as soon as possible. If you are in the process of having a new website created, have SEO professionals involved from the beginning for best results.
We like happy SEO clients.
Why do we bother with FAQs, when clearly the goal of most SEO companies is to get you to call them with your questions so they can make their pitch to you? Because we know that an informed business owner makes better decisions for his or her business.
We know from experience that when SEO clients understand what they’re paying for, they’re happier. They’re not happy when they’re presented with mysterious pricing schemes, inexplicably high prices, jargon-filled explanations, or other smoke-and-mirror techniques that seem to thrive in the SEO company ecosystem.
Why Work with DAGMAR Marketing?
At DAGMAR Marketing, we’re all about transparency and helping you understand the services you’re purchasing from us.