In recent years, the rise of artificial intelligence (AI) has revolutionized the way businesses approach PPC campaign builds. One of the most exciting developments in this space is the emergence of ChatGPT, a language-based AI system that can interact with users in a conversational manner. A question we’ve received a few times has been, “Is ChatGPT useful for Google PPC campaigns?“
This technology has significant potential for PPC experts looking to create more targeted, effective campaigns that drive conversions.
With ChatGPT, businesses can leverage the power of natural language processing to generate new keyword ideas, analyze customer behavioral data sets, and create more engaging ad copy when given the appropriate prompt(s). The system can quickly generate insights based on user data, providing businesses with a more accurate understanding of their customers’ needs and preferences. This, in turn, can help businesses create more effective ad campaigns that resonate with their target audience.
While ChatGPT has many exciting benefits, it’s important to note that it is not the total solution for PPC campaign builds. There are several limitations to using ChatGPT for keyword research, including its lack of live, up-to-date data for traffic volume. Additionally, ChatGPT may not be able to provide insights into all aspects of a PPC campaign, such as landing page design or ad targeting.
As with any technology, it’s important to weigh the pros and cons of using ChatGPT in conjunction with other tools to create more effective PPC campaigns.
Pros of Using ChatGPT for Google Ads Campaigns:
- Continuous Learning and Improvement: ChatGPT can continually learn from user interactions and feedback, improving its recommendations and insights over time.
- Efficiency: ChatGPT can quickly generate keyword ideas and ad copy suggestions, saving businesses time and resources when brainstorming draft ideas.
- Scalability: ChatGPT can handle large volumes of data, making it scalable for businesses with significant PPC campaign data to review.
Cons of Using ChatGPT for Google Ads Campaigns:
While ChatGPT has several benefits, it is not the total solution for PPC campaign builds, especially when it comes to keyword research. Some of the limitations of using ChatGPT for keyword research include:
- Lack of live, up-to-date data for traffic volume, making it difficult to accurately estimate how many people are searching for a particular keyword.
- Inability to provide insights into industry-specific jargon or terminology, which can be a significant limitation for businesses operating in specialized industries or niches.
- Lack of human touch: ChatGPT is an AI-based tool, and therefore lacks the human touch that can be crucial in PPC campaign builds. Human intuition and experience can often be necessary in interpreting data and making strategic decisions.
- Limited scope: ChatGPT may not be able to provide insights into all aspects of a PPC campaign, such as landing page design or ad targeting.
- Language limitations: ChatGPT may not be able to understand certain languages or dialects, limiting its usefulness for businesses operating in multilingual markets.
Recommendations for Using ChatGPT with PPC Campaigns:
When it comes to keyword research, there are several powerful tools available that businesses can use to complement ChatGPT. Some of the most popular tools for keyword research include SEMrush, Google Ads Keyword & Forecast Planner, and Ahrefs. These tools can help businesses:
- Identify keyword opportunities, track their keyword rankings, and analyze their competitors’ strategies.
- Estimate search volume and see how competitive keywords are.
- Identify long-tail keywords that may be easier to rank for.
- Analyze competitors’ strategies and identify high-value keywords.
Using tools like SEMrush, Google Ads Keyword & Forecast Planner, and Ahrefs in conjunction with ChatGPT, businesses can create more effective PPC campaigns that reach their target audience and drive conversions. These tools can help businesses identify the right keywords to target, estimate their search volume and cost per click, and analyze their competitors’ strategies, providing a more comprehensive approach to PPC campaign builds. While ChatGPT may not be the total solution for PPC campaign builds, it can still be a valuable tool for businesses looking to optimize their PPC campaigns.
Using ChatGPT + Google Ads: Real-World Application
ChatGPT excels at saving time by streamlining the process of collecting, sorting, and restructuring data. As illustrated in the example below, we utilized ChatGPT to extract and then calculate data from Google Ads Platform in this example.
Objective – calculate the average daily conversions based in a date range from a Google PPC Campaign – November 1st, 2022, to February 28th, 2023
Source: Google Ads
Step1: Pull up the campaign in Google Ads platform with the correct date range.
Step 2: Download the data into an Excel, CSV or Google Sheet format.
Step 3: Copy and paste all the data into ChatGPT along with the prompt. ChatGPT is advanced enough to analyze non-delimited data.
ChatGPT gave us a correct output the 2nd try, after a slight hiccup based on the original prompt: What is the average daily conversion metric for the following data set? You may need to try a few times in order to produce the result you are looking for.
As we can see, ChatGPT produced a number of 0.75 average daily conversions. That calculation in itself is not unique.
What is unique and the most important concept of ChatGPT is the ability to calculate multiple data sets and combine a result using conversational language.
You could also take this prompt a step further in precision. This client’s ad schedule runs Mondays through Fridays. To be precise on our data, we want the daily average conversion metric recalculated with this factored in, excluding weekends.
ChatGPT gave an updated metric of 1.0227 conversions/day above with an explanation on how it calculated its answer. This can be insightful information to the user if ChatGPT needs additional guidance in the end result.
ChatGPT proves to be an excellent resource for modifying keywords in lengthy datasets and extracting information from external sources. To make the most of this tool, it is essential to provide precise prompts, exercise patience, and experiment with multiple attempts to achieve the desired outcome. It is important to remember that ChatGPT is a tool that will improve its recommendations and insights over time based on user input.