From the artificial intelligence boom to an array of Google Core Updates and even a not-so-swift transition from Universal Analytics to Google Analytics 4, 2023 has been a rollercoaster for digital marketing. Before we enter a new year of innovation and endless possibilities, we’ve gathered a list of some of the most memorable moments in marketing, in addition to some hints about new trends we could potentially look forward to in the near future.
Here’s a recap of some of 2023’s most noteworthy digital marketing highlights:
We Watched ChatGPT Change the Game for Content
When ChatTGPT made its debut on November 30, 2022, it changed the game for writers, students, professors, and several other organizations driven by content creation. This resulted in many organizations asking themselves this honest question, “Will AI-generated content impact my business?”
For many companies, it already has. According to a survey conducted by ResumeBuilder:
- 25% of businesses using ChatGPT have already saved over $75k.
- 48% of businesses that are using ChatGPT have replaced human workers with the technology.
- 49% of businesses currently use ChatGPT, while 30% intend to use it in the future.
- 93% of businesses say they plan to expand their use of ChatGPT in the near future.
We Discovered How ChatGPT Can Help Simplify the Creation of PPC Campaigns
ChatGPT is artificial intelligence software that consists of a large language model, which enables its users to insert a prompt, and it will generate a response. However, this technology can have way more uses than for content creation alone. Our PPC experts have also discovered ways that ChatGPT can be useful for PPC campaigns.
The secret to producing more targeted, highly effective Google Ads campaigns that drive conversions is employing ChatGPT to:
- Identify new keyword opportunities, monitor keyword rankings, and analyze competitor strategies.
- Estimate search volume to determine how competitive each keyword would be to rank for.
- Pinpoint long-tail keywords with less competition that may be easier to rank for.
- Find high-value keywords that your content may be able to successfully rank for.
We Witnessed the AI Tool Takeover
Once we began to see the benefits of AI-powered technology, such as ChatGPT, it opened the floodgates for more innovative AI tools to enter the market and unlock more possibilities for professionals in the digital marketing industry, and beyond.
- An array of AI-powered tools became available at our disposal. Since many AI-powered tools were built on OpenSource AI platforms, a majority are free of charge. However, there are some on the market that may cost a small fee, as well. With so many to choose from, we developed a list of AI tools every business should try at least once.
- AI content detectors have become essential for content creators. Naturally, with more AI content circulating the web, there has to be some form of checks and balances. This is what inspired a surge of AI detection tools to be released to the web. We have developed a list of some of the best AI detectors available, enabling businesses to explore their options.
- AI image generators gave birth to the AI art boom. Businesses can use AI in graphic design to increase productivity and create unique images to accompany content with a simple click of a few buttons. Now that there is a faster way to create graphics, all it takes is conducting a little research to find the best AI image generators for your business to start producing your own visuals.
We Transitioned From Universal Analytics to Google Analytics 4
When Google aimed to completely replace Universal Analytics with Google Analytics 4, it warned administrators that as of July 1, 2023, it would discontinue the processing of UA data. With a set deadline and a goal of navigating the steep learning curve of GA4, our team was able to successfully migrate our accounts and continue to track them in the new platform.
Throughout our journey towards making the switch to GA4, we published a trail of tutorials that could help others, such as:
- How to Set Up Google Analytics 4 Using Google Tag Manager
- How to Track Forms in Google Analytics 4 Using Google Tag Manager
- How to Set up and Track Button Clicks In Google Analytics 4 Using Google Tag Manager
We Kept Up With Google Local Services Ads Updates
Since Google Local Services Ads became available in 2015, this product has seen a series of enhancements. For starters, in March of 2023, one of the latest new Google Local Services Ads updates to occur was when it introduced five new industry verticals.
Then, a few months later, Google updated photo guidelines for LSAs and announced that it was in the process of launching an improved version of its image-reviewing process for LSAs.
We Survived a Series of Essential Google Core Algorithm Updates
According to an article on Google Search Central, broad core updates tend to occur every few months. However, sometime towards the end of 2023, we were stricken with a series of back-to-back Google core algorithm updates, leaving some website administrators concerned about the current state of their online rankings.
- March 2023 – First core update of 2023
- August 2023 – Second core update of 2023
- October 2023 – Third core update of 2023
- November 2023 – Fourth and final core update of 2023
Barely two months after the second core update of the year in August, Google released the October 2023 Core Algorithm update. Just a few weeks later, it released another core update in November — making 2023 the first time in a few years that we’ve seen two core updates released a few weeks apart.
We’re (Sort of) Prepared for the Elimination of Third-Party Cookies in 2024
When we wrote about the anticipated depletion of the third-party cookie in 2021, who would have predicted that on July 27, 2022, Google would delay its launch until 2024? The world’s market leader in online search continues to make us wait in anticipation for it to join the ranks with other web browsers and allow users to enjoy a less invasive, more privacy-first online experience. While you’re playing the waiting game, you should ask yourself, “Are you prepared for what’s to come?”
Time is ticking, and a third-party cookie-free future is almost here. To ease the anxiety and prepare for the unknown, learn what you can do to stay ahead of change and start business off right during the new year.
Our Year in A Nutshell
A new year means another opportunity to improve upon the things we’ve learned and pick up effective new strategies in the process. With ChatGPT and several other powerful AI-powered tools in our arsenal, the death of the third-party cookie on our radar, and GA4 tracking and monitoring every essential event along the way, we’re ready to face the unknown with confidence. Are you?
Latest posts by Caressa Losier (see all)
- Google Analytics 4 Guide: Mastering the Basics - February 2, 2024
- 2023 Digital Marketing Recap: Past, Present, and Future Trends - December 28, 2023
- Beware of the CVE-2023-45124 Phishing Scam - December 13, 2023